Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Discovery of the Latin Quarter...ole!


Tonight my new little posse (Christy and Kyndal from UCSB, Chrissy from UCLA. There are 3 Christine's, 2 Chrissy's, 2 Kristin's, 2 Ashely's, 2 Estellas (wtf!), and 2 Kims in the program. The other Kim is black though, so we don't get confused that often) ventured to the Latin Quarter. We strolled down Henri IV Boulevard to the lovely little Seine. We then crossed to the island in the fork of the Seine (it probably has a technical name, but I like to think of it as home to Quasimodo! aka Notre Dame Cathedral). We ended up on Quai O'rleans. I thought, "HEY they must have named it after New O'rleans!" Then I thought, "HEY, kim. you're a dumb ass! Why do you think it's NEW O'rleans?! This street was probably built before the Native Americans even got to America." Or something like that.My point being, Paris is olllllld. Oh if those cobblestone streets could talk...

Next, we came to the backside of Notre Dame and daaaaamn she looked good from behind. Even though we were seeing the epic butt of the world famous Cathedral for the first time, I found some sweet playground equipment. Obviously a photo shoot on the swings trumped pictures of the Notre Dame.

Post playing around the Cathedral we entered the heart of the Latin Quarter, struck by the many Lebanese and Vietnamese restaurants. After failing to find the restaurant in the guide book we settled at a quaint little Russian restuarant. TRES BON. 3 course meal baby. and they had English menus. TRES BIEN. Started with tasty vegetable soup, beef stroganoff, and lemony cheese cake. TRES BON.

Next, we walked back along the left bank of the Seine some how stumbling into a hang out for young French people on the banks of the river. It was like the quad at lunch...only with French cliques. The cool kid were sitting under the lights on blankets with their typical wine, cigarettes and baguettes. I swear all the guys look like Rob Pattinson. And I'm not complaining. The weird, scene type kids were perched on playground equipment puffing away at their cigs. There was even a large harajuku Japanese posse eating noodles (I SWEAR) and speaking in their native tongue. The only thing that was missing was the group of sassy Latinas eating their flaming hot cheetos. C'mon Latin Quarter, I expected more from you.

Don't worry though - we found French salsa dancing. And as soon as we stepped up to watch the large group of attractive French dancers, two late/ middle aged black men swooped. The first asked if I would dance, I am trying to think of a way to respond without being a snatch, the first thing I manage to say "umm, no thanks. I just ate." Yes, I actually said, "I just ate." GOD I'M SMOOTH. by smooth I mean completely and utterly unattractive. Since I was trying really hard to impress the creeper. ANYWAY, he replies "so you don't know how to dance?" Needless to say, both Christy and I weaseled out of that one. And I made a mental note that saying you're bloated will not stop a middle aged man from shamlessly hitting on you. Damn.

All along our stroll down the Seine there were little cove type things with a different genre of music and dancing. Salsa, ballroom, and, polka. I'm pretty sure they were busting out a chair for hava nagila (sp?) as we walked by the last cove. Really exciting to watch, it almost had a High School Musical vibe as to how coreographed it was and everyone knew the moves. Sadly, there was no special cove for the ensemble "We're All In This Together" dance. But I'm starting one next time. I think this is why the French haven't told Americans about this hang out yet.

The fun 4 mile jaunt (I love mapmyrun.com) ended when we tried, pretty unsuccessfully, to sneak into a bar mitzvah. It was almost over anyway.

SHALOM and au revoir until next time (expect stories about the French peasant life themed satire ballet we're going to see tomorrow. Sounds breathtaking, right there with Swan Lake)

xoxo,
goyim girl


HISTORY SIDE NOTE: Henri IV is one of my favorite kings. known as the "Father of Urban Planning" in Paris, plus I think he got the country out of debt. Not bad. In fact, he was so popular that he didn't have body guards. Unfortunately, his trust also got him killed by a Catholic fanatic. He was stabbed in his carriage while stuck in traffic. Talk about traffic jam (get it, like he got a knife jammed into his ribs?!?) Anyyyway, he kept converting back and forth between Protestantism and Catholicism. He even got a divorce at some point. Bad Catholic. You'd think his wishy washy religious preference would have made him unpopular. But, no, the Parisians loved their Protestatholic. Oh and he tore down the Paris border walls Philippe Augustus (I'm pretty sure thats how you spell it) erected to show that Parisians couldn't keep Henri out (because he was Protestant at the time he inherited his kingdom, they wanted a Catholic) and that they didn't need protection from foreigners. Paris was the shit and even though the political climate has changed drastically since then, it still is!

4 comments:

  1. girl, it's Latin, l like the extinct language, not latina. but i did have hot cheetos today, maybe i'm the missing link????

    your stories are so splendid, i'm so happy you're doing so much while you're there! i'm quiet jealous. on the verge of tears!

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah i KNOW it's Latin not Latina. it's a joke from high school, all the cholas used to eat flaming hot cheetos in the quad. Maybe that was just FHS?!

    anyway, thanks again for ALL of your suggestions, you've been TRE helpful!!! I miss you and don't cry, come back!! lets plan a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim I love reading your blog. You have your own way of telling your stories and it is so shamelessly you that it may be my favorite blog to read. And that's saying something as I keep up on about 4, two of them being family... Anyway keep romping around and doing what you do, I see great things and epiphanies coming your way.

    Much love,

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  4. kim!

    I just had a chance to sit down and read your posts...you are so effing hilarious! It seems like you are thoroughly enjoying yourself! damn straight...we brunelli's know how to live it up. Hope to skype with you soon...
    Love you
    Linz

    ReplyDelete