Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Weekends in Gay Paree…No literally. The gay district, among other things.

So far my Saturday’s have consisted of sleeping in ridiculously late and then venturing out at night. This past Saturday we did the obligatory Eiffel Tower picnic. Wine, cheese, and lot’s of Americans. It was surreal. We couldn’t get over the sky, literally looked hand painted. And the tower sparkles every hour on the hour when it gets dark (which isn’t until 11 or something…and it stops after 1. So it’s cool in theory…). The Eiffel Tower is kind of a trek from where I live (a 30 minute metro ride with a few stops) so it’s always a treat to see the big guy. Next time, I’m climbing to the top! More pictures at the bottom...
MON AMIS (left to right) Kyndal, Me, Max, Christy, and Cheese.

Eiffel tower + romper = happiness.

Sunday was a LITTLE more exciting. Big afternoon in Le Marais aka gay district aka hipster Paris aka JEWTOWN. Tons of vintage shops and fun people watching, but the best part - L’as Falafel. It’s a steaming pita of goodness. They basically put all sorts of random things in, vegetables and sauces that I didn’t know I liked (or that they existed) topped with the most delicious falafel balls ever. I plan on going again quite soon. In fact, now sounds good…

CELEB SIGHTING: Right next to our table this rather large man (and his large family) were causing a raucous only possible by Americans, we looked over and it was…Ethen Suplee… (gasp)…. Duhh, big Frankie from Boy Meets World…and he’s on My Name is Earl. Still no? IMDB him, you’ll know his face. He seemed to have his own table (and knew the owners) but his picture wasn’t on the wall with other famous people (questionably famous. Basically, Lenny Kravitz had 5 pictures on the wall).

Even after the falafel, the streets of La Marais were fun on their own. I really enjoyed poking around the designer stores (even with the sales I can’t afford even a headband, le sigh). Plus there were sweet gay bars, like Open Café and the rather blatant COX Café. It reminded me of WEHO in some ways. Well mostly just the way the guys would remark about every dog that would pass by their café table “ohh my gooood, isn’t she just the sweetest thing you’ve ever seen. Harry, look at herrrr”. Adorable. Picasso’s museum? Not so adorable. I felt like I wasted my time and money looking at his version of art. (ok it was free, they should have paid me). Maybe I’m lacking some sort of appreciation…but be lacks ability to color in the lines. Actually all he CAN do is lines. Swirled around somehow creating three women topless on the beach. Yea, I’m missing something there, but I didn’t miss the Jews in Le Marais! There were so many French Jewish deli’s and every boulangerie had a menorah in the window. It was oddly comforting (as if I have some connection with the Jews) and if I ever get sick of falafel and baguettes, I know where to go for latkes and challah. Mazel tov!
see Ethan in the hat in the background? Kyndal is pointing the wrong way, but you can't miss him. Or that bomb falafel she's holding.


The only fun we had at the picasso museum. with the big distortion mirror!

After a short break, I hoped on the metro to Montmatre (by that big white mosque looking church again) to get crepes with ma amie (my friend in the feminine form), Misa. A fellow Foothill knight alumni who is just living in Paris. No joke, she’s not at school or working. Just living. She re-named the days of the week based on which clubs have no cover charge. Talk about commitment. She at least left one day for Sabbath. I arrived at 6pm and she’d just woken up for the day about 30 minutes before. I thought I had a crazy lifestyle…

Anyway, she filled me in on other MUST SEE’S in France and more common phrases to get by. Of course, I forgot them before my dessert crepe was even served. I have another month; I’ll get it eventually.

Monday (after school) we went to l’as falafel again. Told you I'd go again soon. It’s THAT good. Oh and this time I had another flashing situation. This time my skirt flew up in a Marylin Monroe esque way…but I wasn’t coyly posing on a subway grate, instead I was on a crosswalk in a busy intersection. I made the girliest noise, I didn’t know it was even possible for me to squeal that high. Good thing it was the gay district, Paris got another show from me.

My French is also improving! I want more than ever to learn it but I have the WORST stage fright. Whenever she calls on me in class its just uhhh umm crepe sil vous plait? And when I order at restaurants I tend to use Spanish. I'm suddenly really good at Spanish. Oh well, practice makes perfect and I’ve got a few more weeks. Esta bien.

Last but not least, I booked my tickets/ hotel to Normandy this weekend! BEACHES! Wheeee. Not only is it the historic site of D-Day, but a great place to lay out (no, not topless at this one) aaaand have fruits de mere. SEAFOOD. Can’t wait. Oh and we booked tickets for London, did someone say ‘Arry Potta!? EEEEEE. MOM- SHIP MY ROBE AND WAND OUT HERE ASAP. I can’t believe I forgot my Harry Potter garb. Guess I’ll have to buy some real robes in England!!

It’s raining here so no adventures until tomorrow. Unless you count me, a bottle of wine, and online TV shows an adventure. Just finished Weeds, starting Brothers and Sisters. God Bless American television.

Miss you. Yes you.

Photo Shoot of the Eiffel Tower throughout our pique-nique (French words are so cute) *please note the twinkle lights that look like fireflies*




And last but not least, the epitome of me in France.
Happy and surrounded by good food & wine.
Shameless glamor shot, sorry bout it.


1 comment:

  1. Kim, I thought of another place to eat. it's called le gaychoc.. pretty tasty sandwiches. it's by h'otel de ville on rue des archives. if you're walking away from the river it will be on the left a few streets up. I hope it's still there because it's tres tasty!! and go to bhv it's a fun store. have you been to monoprix or monop yet???

    ReplyDelete